UNDERC Graduate Fellowships
UNDERC offers Graduate Fellowships for qualified graduate students at their UNDERC East and West facilities. Preference is given to graduate students from Notre Dame.
- Advise undergraduates in summer course (May 15 - August 15)
- Conduct research on UNDERC property
- Preference given to Notre Dame Ph.D. students
- Summer stipend ($7750) plus up to $1000 research budget
- Housing provided at UNDERC (bed in shared apartment)
- Access to UNDERC vehicles with approval of Assistant Director
- Required to mentor at least 2 undergraduate projects for the summer course Practicum in Field Environmental Biology
- Requires extended residence at UNDERC (at least 80% of the ten-week course)
- Undergraduate projects must stand alone and be completed on UNDERC property
- Time spent working with undergraduates, especially during Research Weeks
- Includes data collection, statistical analysis, editing drafts of student papers
- Working with undergraduates prior to start of course on research proposals
- Attend weekly UNDERC seminars
- Attend UNDERC Undergraduate Research Symposium at conclusion of the summer class
How to Apply: Candidates should apply to email@example.com by Friday, February 21, 2020 with:
- A brief cover letter describing your general interest in an UNDERC graduate fellowship.
- A 2-page single-spaced scholarly proposal following the general guidelines of the NSF GRFP program. (We only request the proposal and not the personal statement required by GRFP.)
- A 1-page single-spaced document describing potential undergraduate projects for advisees.
- A brief letter from your advisor confirming their support for your proposed UNDERC work.
- A curriculum vitae detailing your background experience, and accomplishments.
- Awards will be announced by Friday, March 6, 2020.
Additional Aspects of the Fellowship
- Applicants for the UNDERC fellowships are encouraged to clearly indicate how UNDERC resources (field sites, laboratories, data bases, NEON, etc.) will be used in the proposed research, as priority will be given to applicants who use the property for some or all of their scholarship, but modeling, data analysis, and writing projects are also appropriate activities for fellows.
- An accounting of research expenditures and a 1-page progress report will be due to firstname.lastname@example.org by December 31, 2020. Residual funds will not carry over between years.
For more information or to discuss your proposed research, contact either:
- Dr. Michael Cramer, Assistant Director, UNDERC-East, email@example.com
- Dr. David Flagel, Assistant Director, UNDERC-West, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dr. Stuart Jones, Associate Director of Research, email@example.com