Research projects at UNDERC need to be pre-approved. Proposed projects are reviewed and assessed not only for their potential scientific advancement but also for their likely impact on the site. This application requests relevant information so that projects undergo careful review to ensure the pristine nature of the site is not compromised.
The following outlines the steps in the review process.
- The researcher contacts the UNDERC Associate Director of Research, Stuart Jones (firstname.lastname@example.org), to briefly describe the project. This can be a brief written pre-proposal. After review by the Associate Director, the researcher is contacted and told whether to continue to a full proposal.
- With approval of the Associate Director, the researcher completes and submits the Application to Conduct Research. This form must be downloaded separately, completed offline using Adobe Reader, and e-mailed to UNDERC. This form is due by March 1 prior to the start of research activities.
- The Application to Conduct Research is reviewed by the UNDERC Science and Education Advisory Committee, which provides a recommendation based on the scientific merit of the proposed research.
- The Land O Lakes Advisory Board meets in early April to review the Application to Conduct Research, based on the recommendations of the UNDERC Science and Education Advisory Committee. This body also considers the potential affect of the proposed research on the pristine nature of UNDERC, and impact for other groups of users.
- The final decision of the Land O Lakes Advisory Board is communicated to the researcher by the UNDERC Director.
- Once approved, Annual Reports are due every March until the completion of the project. This form must be downloaded separately, completed offline using Adobe Reader, and e-mailed to UNDERC.